Mental Health Ministry
Mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning. One in five families has a member with a diagnosable mental illness.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jer 29:11
The Mental Health Ministry of St. Matthew’s Catholic Church partners with the Archdiocese of San Francisco to offer support for families in the parish that are experiencing mental health challenges. By interfacing with county, local non-profit, and private mental health providers, Catholic families will be introduced to healing professionals and services able to facilitate their healing journeys.
Prayerfully supported by parish lay leaders, and receiving professional care, families strive for wholeness and an end to the stigma that still endures when mental health is challenged.
Spiritual Resources to Meet the Pandemic Challenge
Msgr. John Talesfore reports on the Mental Health Ministry pilot programs at St. Matthew's in San Mateo and Our Lady of Angels in Burlingame. May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and these programs, he says, provide meaningful outreach. "It can be so simple amid stress and fear":
The coronavirus and the global spread of COVID-19 disease have had an unprecedented effect on all our lives, and the stress and anxiety can take a toll on health both physical and mental:
ARTICLE: "HOW PRAYER CAN HELP DEFEAT ANXIETY"
Crisis Intervention/Information and Referral Services
- Alcoholics Anonymous 650-577-1310
- Psychiatric Emergency Services, San Mateo Medical Center 650-573-2662
- Suicide Prevention 650-579-0350
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- San Mateo County Helpline: 650-638-0800
- Gabriel Project 24 hour help line 800-910-2848
- Options United 24 hour help line 877-398-7734
- Pastoral Center Sexual Abuse Reporting information 415-614-5506
- PERT 911
Referrals To Diocese approved licensed therapists
Low cost therapy 650-961-9300
Resources by Diagnosis
- Alzheimer's NorCal (800)272-3900
- Veterans/Armed Services San Mateo (650) 802-6598
- Mental Health Association of San Mateo County (650) 368-3345
- NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness (650) 638-0800
- Family to Family Support, Adult Warm Line (650) 638-0800
- Peer to Peer Support (650) 638-0800
- Parent of Youth and Young Adults (650) 638-0800
- Recovery International Support Group (858) 668-8211
- San Mateo Depression & Bipolar Support Alliance (650) 299-8880